Wednesday, March 25, 2015

How I got a job with no experience whatsoever


Original Message:
Hi, my name is Bethany Cavender and I'm interested in your position listed on Craigslist. I'm friendly and work hard.

To be quite honest, I've been cooking in the food industry for years. And to be more honest, I'm tired of it. I just moved here with my fiancé from Atlanta, Ga. He's a welder in San Francisco and I've been on a long road to chef-dom.

When I moved here I told myself I'd find something new. I'm in search for a new avenue. I love the idea of working m-f, 9-5 or 6. Or whenever. No I don't have much experience in this position but I am a hard worker, I'm capable, I'm easy to work with and friendly. I just want a reliable job where others can rely on me too.
If interested, I'd love to meet for an interview. I'm always on time, if not a few minutes early.

If you want someone who is hard working and honest, a fast learner and friendly to work for you, please contact me.
          Best!

This is the email I wrote to my current employer... 

How did THIS email help get me a job? How did I get picked out of 15 other applicants with years of experience? 
When I first got the call from my job, I was very surprised. In my email I clearly stated I had no experience for the position whatsoever. I went back and read my original email and laughed out loud.

Why me?

I was very skeptical. Even though I decided not to professionally cook anymore, I kept letting the fact that I was stepping out of my comfort zone be the little devil on my shoulder telling me this will be boring, I will hate every second of this and I should just say I am not interested but thanks anyway.
Sometimes being out of your comfort zone can take you places. Far away places.. like maybe California.

When I went in for my interview I was nervous. My heart was beating out of my chest and I was beyond tense.
One of the many beneficial lessons I get out of yoga is controlling my breath. When I control my breath, I control my heart. And when I control my heart, I control my brain waves. Controlling my brain waves makes me more present. Being present, breathing and listening to your heart beat pushes out the extra noise in and around you.

When I approached the office doors, I stopped before going in. I took a deep breath in and let a deep breath out. I could literally hear my heart beating and ringing in my ears from anxiousness. I stood there and continued to slow down my breath until my breath and heart we working together as one. 
I did not go inside until I had control of my own body.

Sometimes shit happens. Some moments in life can and will have a traumatic impact on you, and creep up on you when you least expect it. Overtime, I have become a nervous person around strangers. It takes me a long time to feel comfortable around people and even longer to invest trust in someone. In past interviews I would freeze up and not be able to finish a sentence I started. I used to not have this problem. I used to be a social butterfly. But things happen. Shit happens. How you deal with pain can change you. 
I highly recommend therapy if you think you need it. 
It changed my life.

Once I entered the office I knew I was ready. I kept concentration on my breathing to keep my heart calm. By the time I sat down to talk, I was ready to kill it. 
My interviewer/now boss was very aware of my no experience email and resume. And of course he asked me why I applied and why I decided to make the change. I simply told him my honest truth. I was wanting a change in scenery. I wanted to experience my life a little more. 
He asked me why I applied to his company. I told him because he posted an ad on Craigslist. That's why.

Then I turned it all around. 
I asked him why he even responded to my email? It's almost comical. Why me?

His response summarized:

My email grabbed him. He read between the lines in my email. 
He said he could relate to where I was at. A time of reflection is an important part of someones life and everybody does it. 
If I'm a point in my life where I need to take a step back and change it up, he knows how that feels. He's been there too. 
 If my resume is all restaurants but I'm applying for an office job, why? He wanted to know. 

Gaining insight from my words, the context of my words and my behavior was what brought everything together. No, I didn't have any experience for position I applied for. But I sold myself in other ways. 

I sold myself. 

My interview was long and I did most of the talking. 
Not one time did I freeze up, choke on my words, hear my voice start to sound like I was in a car on a rocky road... Not one time! 
(this is a record for me so far)

Thank you yoga.

At the end of an interview, the interviewer usually asks if you have any questions. Normally, I say no or just ask what the compensation for the position is. This time I asked many questions. I think turning the interview around to where I was now interviewing him was very smart.

I asked if he had any doubts in my qualifications for the position. What would be my biggest challenge starting out? What are the main concerns for the office right now? What is the compensation??

The ending to this interview fairytale is I got picked out of a group of people with more experience, I think, because of how honest I was and the way I presented myself. I wasn't another drone going in there with a standard resume, being a "yes woman" and answering questions the way I think they would want to hear. 

I  let myself shine through the unqualified applicant I was, and now, I am not.


















No comments:

Post a Comment