Monday, April 6, 2015

My weekend and faux biscuits -n- gravy

After a long and relaxing weekend, I feel refreshed. Normally my love and I try to get out and go hiking or visit some new places, but this weekend we spent most of our time at home and it was lovely.


Friday started off with a half-day at work. Work, by the way, is going great. I'm given more responsibilities every week and feel like I'm building a good amount of trust with my co-workers. As I sit here and write this I notice the dirt under my fingernails is gone. I never disliked dirt under my nails, I just didn't think it'd ever really go away.

 After work my love and I went to Vik's Wheelhouse after a long and dreadful visit to the DMV. 
Why does the DMV always feel so eery?

Either way, we are officially California residents.
Woohoo!

Our initial plan was to go to Mare Island Brewing Company and get a beer but they don't open until 5pm on Fridays and it was 4:30pm. We didn't want to wait and the floating barge at Vik's Wheelhouse was seriously calling our name. 

We got a couple delicious Anchor Steams and sat out on the deck in the sun. 
Looking out into the water and drinking beers with your babe is where it's at!
We got the mixed seafood boil and what a treat! 
Whole lobster, crab legs, mussels, shrimp, sausage, potatoes and corn swimming in garlic butter and broth.. worth every penny. We also got the clam chowder and it was amazing. 

Vallejo is showing us its charm slowly but surely.


Saturday we finally hung some pictures in the house. What a difference pictures and mirrors make. 

Our new home finally feels like home.

Adjusting to new settings makes for a new kind of home. 
It's been fun decorating a little differently. New windows, new trees and new plants all shifted my decorating style. Leaving the windows open and the blinds pulled up exposes all the natural lighting and green outside. I decorated trying to match the exterior throughout the yard and house.

That night we made some chicken tacos. Using dried ancho and pasilla chiles changes everything. I take two of each and lightly toast them in oil in a pan.  
You can use the same oil from the chiles for further cooking like searing chicken. 
Then I take them out and rehydrate them in simmering water for a few minutes until soft. Deseed and stem them, then buzz them up in a blender with a few raw garlic cloves, a handful of cilantro and white vinegar. Add the paste to chili, a sauce or mix in some braised meat. 
So good!

Sunday morning we were in the mood for something southern. 
Or, we are always in the mood for southern food. 

As I've mentioned before, trying to find organic meat around here can be arduous. I am still a fan of using Torfurky products every now and then. This time was particularly awesome.



Faux Biscuits -n- Gravy

Use half a yellow onion and cut small dice. Sweat the onions in a pan over medium low heat in olive oil. Throw in a bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
Once the onions are soft, add your tofurky "ground beef". You're just getting the "ground beef" nice and hot. Then add about a tablespoon of AP flour and stir. You want to incorporate the flour completely.
The onions and "ground beef" will start to soak up the flour and get thick. 
Because we are not actually vegetarian, I added a little homemade chicken stock for flavor. You can skip this step or add vegetable stock. You can really do whatever you want.. At this point, you could throw everything on the ground and let your dogs have a field day. You know, adjust as needed.

 I let the chicken stock reduce down and then I added non-fat milk. Season generously with cracked black pepper. I also added white pepper. I love the musky-ness of white pepper. Salt to taste.
Simmer this on low until the consistency is nice and thick. Continue to stir every now and then. 
As it cooks, it gets darker.
I warmed some wheat english muffins in the oven and cooked some eggs over-easy.
Cut your english muffins, biscuits or croissants in half, pour over the seasoned gravy and top with eggs. 
I like my gravy thick faux sho.

My love said he couldn't even tell it wasn't the real thing.
But it is real! It was a flavorful and delicious breakfast that filled us up and made us happy. 
That's all that matters.


Sunday night we made deviled eggs, grilled some chicken and vegetables and watched The League. We LOVE The League.

A great weekend spent mostly inside cooking, flirting, drinking wine, playing with the dogs and lounging on the couch.

How was your weekend?







No comments:

Post a Comment