Friday, April 17, 2015

Free write Friday

It's Friday. My head hurts. I need to drink more water. When I worked in kitchens I drank a ton of water. I was always sweating my life away but I liked the balance. I was always dewy. Now I'm dehydrated and dry. I need to fix this.

Working in the office is funny. It will never be like The Office, but there are many times where I wished my sister or fiance could see the people I deal with sometimes. 
This one woman I work with is a little odd to talk to. She talks in a way to where it's like she's telling you a secret. She ends her sentences always widening her eyes and looking behind her as if she's making sure no one else can hear. Her comments are always passive aggressive about the office we work in. When she's done talking she stares at me oddly, like she's surprised or flabbergasted, waiting for a response, all while bobbing her head. I'm the type of person where if I don't feel that connection with someone, I don't open up that easily. I wouldn't say I'm rude, but I would say I cannot fake nice like maybe others can. It's hard for me to think of things to say if I'm not interested. I'm more of an observer and shut my mouth before I speak type.

The other day she did her normal routine where she walked up to my desk, looking like she just saw a ghost and complained about how much static was in her hair. I've noticed the same problem myself but I know that the office is dry and we deal with papers all day. I thought about getting a little humidifier to put on my desk. 
Problem solving.

As I write this, she just came up to my desk and asked me if I'm as bored as she is...
Not at the moment...

As she was talking about how dry everything is the phone started to ring at my desk. One of my main jobs is to answer the phone and transfer calls to the legal secretaries and attorneys. She kept talking and the phone kept ringing. I just smiled and nodded while slowing picking up the phone, giving her every sign, hint and opportunity to see I needed to answer the call coming in because it is my job. As I answered the phone, she continued to talk, this time in a whisper, as if that would allow me to hear her and also hear the person on the other line. She whispered how her lips were so dry that they were starting to crack and bleed. That is when I slowly started to spin my chair in the other direction and pretend I was using the computer and talking on the phone to an important client.. Which I was.

I'm getting really tan. Mainly my face and arms. I need to even out the rest of my body.

It's weird how Fridays work in a 9-5 environment. It's the complete opposite from what I'm used to. Fridays in the restaurant industry means you're about to get killed. It means you wear your lucky bandanna, hardly any makeup because it's just going to sweat off, you're going to work for 6-7 hours straight with no bathroom break, drink 4 quarts of water during your shift and 8 quarts of beer after your shift.
In the 9-5 world, Fridays are the equivalent to the restaurant industry's Monday. It's dead. Not everyone shows up for work and a lot of people leave early because they don't want to start on any new projects. There is less traffic going to work but a lot of traffic getting off work.
I have to say I enjoy my weekends now. And holidays off too?!? It's weird but I like it.

On a girly note..
I looked at pictures from a few months ago with my hair down. It looked like I stuck my finger in a socket and then put makeup on. It's funny because clearly I thought in the picture that day that I probably looked alright. Now that I have to fix my hair everyday, I learned how to actually fix my hair. I use a round brush a lot and bobby pins almost everyday. I know because I have to be aware of my appearance that it has helped me look better and overall has made me feel better about myself. That confidence overflows into other areas within myself. If I feel better about myself, I am happier and not worrying if I look good for my fiance. If I feel better about myself, chances are I'm in a good mood. I feel more courageous and results in me doing more than I did before.
I talk about this because everybody wants to feel good inside and out. 
I've done a complete 180. I used to wear my hair up, go for the black t-shirt, jeans, black vans, black hoodie and call it a day. There's nothing wrong with dressing this way and I still do. But, this is how I used to dress all the time because I didn't know how else to dress. Feels good to wear a light blue, sleeveless blouse with jean shorts and brown sandals with my hair down and wavy and a California tan.

I often think about how everyone is doing back home. I always think about what time it is in Georgia. Right now it's 3:28pm there and I know my old kitchen crew is getting ready for a busy Friday night. I think about them a lot. They were my family. I miss them.

So this is free writing Friday. I just write and don't think about the grammar or purpose.

Happy Friday.



No comments:

Post a Comment